7.16.2008

life on the bayou.






















At a recent pool party, I was complaining about a particularly itchy mosquito bite on my back and said something like, "There are so many mosquitoes around this year; I just don't get it. . ."

"That's because you live on the bayou," Jeff explained.

I thought this was hilarious at first, but now I think he's just right.

This is seriously a picture of my mailbox. Retrieving mail from the mailbox has always been one of my favorite hobbies, but now it feels more like an adventure.
These days, I pick it up as I'm returning home from work. When I've arrived at the mailbox, I stop my car in the middle of the road and walk a few yards over to it. If I attempt to pull right up to it and try to grab in through the car window, it gets way too messy.
Most days I drop a few envelopes on road because I'm not looking at what I'm doing in an effort to keep my face out of the jungle-like vegetation, and I'm trying to hurry to avoid the insects. (I was bitten twice by mosquitoes while taking this picture.)

Usually once I have all of the mail, I hold it carefully in my left hand so I can dangle it out the driver-side window because it's covered with aphids that latched on during the retrieval. My arm and hand are usually covered with sticky spots of that aphid goo that only comes off with soap.
I never attempt to close the mailbox door. . .way too much effort for the inconveniences involved. Neither does the postal worker. I like that because I can tell if there's mail from my car window as I drive up. I would hate to go through the whole ordeal only to discover that my dad already got it.

One more thing. My mom moved this old gun cabinet out of the house because she's doing some redecorating and decided to replace it with an new shelf from Ikea. She left it out on the deck because my cousin, John, supposedly wants it and agreed to pick it up. It's been there for a few days and it's been okay because the weather has been mild. But when I woke up this morning, it had been tipped over and damaged:












It hasn't been windy or stormy at all lately, and this was seriously the first thing I thought of when I saw it:



3 comments:

Whittron said...

you are amazing.

Miriam said...

I disagree with the mosquito theory. My sewing machine was recently dropped down a flight of concrete stairs descending from a 2nd story porch (gasp and horror yes) and I think that the impact of that event travelled clear to Utah and knocked the cabinet over.

(The dropper of the sewing machine will also be dropping off a check tonight to pay for the repairs on the sewing machine which will be complete by next week....so all is well....as long as it really works once it's repaired.)

Marie said...

I am so proud to be your sister! That is hilarious!